Long time ago clandestine production was attributed to Raicilla process made on settlements far removed from the large cities of that time, it has been said that it was originally used to disguise this type of agave spirit and escape restrictions on alcohol production and related taxes.
Other unique characteristics besides the artisan process are:
• Lechuguillas grow faster than other agaves such as blue agave (tequila) and most of them are smaller in size.
• Most plants are wild and difficult to find around mountainous terrain in the western highlands. Obviously that is changing thanks to our sustainability reproduction project.
• It offers a delicious and unique citrus and floral fragrance, easy to distinguish between other distillates made from agave like Tequila, Mezcal, etc.
*You need aprox 10 kg to make 1 litter of raicilla double distilled, 40% alc. Vol.
• The productions are limited and relatively small, sometimes only 50 liters are distilled per month.
* Its consumption is mainly by the community of the area.